If you take a look at our free bets page, you’ll notice that there’s no shortage of betting sites to choose from. And whilst all of the online bookmakers that we list are reputable and licensed in the UK, some are definitely better than others when it comes to things like odds, markets and customer service.
For this reason we’ve compiled a list of what we believe are the very best betting sites for people based in the UK, which you can find below. We’ve also identified where we think each website is particularly strong and highlighted exactly why we’re recommending them, as not everybody is going to want the same thing from their bookie.
Top 10 UK Online Betting Sites & Bookmakers
1. Bet365 – £200 Deposit Bonus – Best All Rounder
Our number one pick goes to Bet365 who pretty much tick all the boxes. Their odds are above average, their welcome bonus is one of the biggest you’ll find on the web and their mobile betting site is top notch. They’re also one of the biggest betting sites in the world with billions being wagered with them each year. And despite their size they’re still family owned and based in Stoke on Trent, which is also where their customer support and telephone banking teams are based.
- Huge £200 Welcome Bonus – Bet365 match your first deposit pound for pound up to the first £200. So deposit £50 and your balance becomes £100, or stick in £200 for a massive £400 bankroll. And unlike the free bet tokens that a lot of bookies offer, the bonus funds themselves can be withdrawn once you’ve bet with it a few times. There’s also a further £50 bonus when you place your first mobile bet.
- Live Streaming Sport – Nobody does live streaming quite like Bet365 and not only can you watch horse racing, football, tennis and a host of other events from their website, but you can also stream them to your phone. As you would expect this is combined their with a very strong live betting section so that you can bet whilst you watch (if you want to).
- Fantastic Range of Markets – Bet365 offer hundreds of markets on thousands of events meaning that if you can’t find the bet you want to place here, then you probably can’t place it anywhere. This coverage also includes less common sports like handball, volleyball and table tennis.
- Partial Cashouts – Using Bet365’s cashout feature you can end your bet early to either lock in a guaranteed profit if the bet looks promising or minimise your losses if things don’t go your way. You can also cash in a portion of your bet, leaving the remainder to ride.
2. Coral – Bet £5, Get £20 Free – Pick Up Your Winnings In Cash
Coral have undergone a radical transformation over the past couple of years and they’re becoming a real contender for our number one spot. As well as a very user friendly site they offer highly competitive odds, a wide variety of offers and money back specials and excellent market coverage on most sports. And with their incredibly generous welcome offer – £20 free when you get £5 – it’s definitely worth giving these guys a spin around the block.
- Generous 400% Free Bet – Whilst some bookies will just match your bet with a free one, Coral will quadruple it. So deposit and bet with a fiver of your own money and you’ll receive a £20 free bet courtesy of the Coral team.
- High Street Locations – As one of the big UK high street bookies they’ve integrated their online and brick and mortar betting business together. Meaning you can bet online and get your winnings in cash from your local bookie or deposit into your account using cash. You don’t have to, of course, and there are plenty of other payment options you can choose from (including PayPal).
- Regular Offers – Coral run a number of ongoing promotions for football, golf, tennis and horse racing. Plus plenty of one off bonuses and specials around big events. Combine these with their decent odds and you’ve got yourself the opportunity to squeeze as much value out of your bets as you possibly can.
3. BetVictor – £25 Matched Bet – Best Football Odds
BetVictor are the online arm of the Victor Chandler betting shops that you used to see up and down the high street. They’re now entirely online and based out of Gibraltar, but still licensed and regulated right here in Blighty. Their main selling point are their odds, particularly for Premier League football for which they incredibly hard to beat. Both the mobile and desktop sites are intuitively laid out and navigating the markets is a very simple affair.
- Wide Range Of Promotions – Starting with a £25 matched bet when you sign up, BetVictor run a wide range of money back specials and promotions. From acca insurance to in-play free bets or bonus spins in the casino there’s always something to peak your interest.
- Best Odds For Football – According to a number of data companies, BetVictor have had the best overall average odds for football betting for the past two seasons. So if you’re looking for somewhere to place your bets without shopping around for the best odds then BetVictor is a great place to do it.
- Great Casino Offers – As well as sports betting, BetVictor offer a wide range of casino games on desktop or mobile. They also like to tie in sports and casino and often run promotions that combine the two – for example if you bet on the football on saturday morning you’ll get 10 free spins in the casino.
4. Sky Bet – Bet £5, Get £20 Free – Weekly £5 Free Bet
For the casual punter, Sky Bet are one of our top suggestions as both their desktop and mobile sites are some of the most user friendly we’ve come across. Part owned by the media giant that is BSkyB, they also have a name you can trust and customer service to match. When it comes to offers Sky are also something of a trend setter and not only do they hand out a £20 free bet when you deposit and bet £5, but they also give you another £5 free bet every week you’re active.
- Great Welcome Bonuses – Sign up and deposit £5 and you’ll receive a £20 free bet. The bonus is added to your account as soon as you place your qualifying bet and can be used on any sporting event. Alternatively you could choose one of Sky’s other welcome bonuses, including £10 completely free in their casino or poker room (no deposit required).
- Weekly £5 Free Bet – Active customers can opt in to Skys ‘Free Bets Club’ which awards a £5 free bet every week that you bet £25 or more. You need to opt in (just once) to get the promotion, but once you do you’ll keep getting the free bets each week that you keep betting.
- Super 6 – Sky also run a free-to-enter competition each week where you pick the scores of six football games. If you get the all correct you’ll land a whopping £250k! And if nobody wins, the person with the most correct takes home a cool five grand.
5. Betfred – Bet £10, Get £30 Free – Double Odds
Betfred are another of the big high street bookmakers who recently became even bigger after the acquisition of the previously goverment run Totesport in 2011. The company was founded by Fred Done, a man whose nickname is ‘the bonus king’ and one who prides himself on the high value promotions that are offered both online and in his betting shops. So if you like good odds and massive offers, Fred may be your guy.
- Treble Your Money In Free Bets – Betfred is another bookie that gives you plenty of bang for your buck with their welcome bonus, and a £10 deposit will get you £30 in free bets.
- Double Odds – One of Betfreds most popular offers is Double Delight, where you’ll be paid out at double the normal odds on a winning first scorer bet if that player scores again. Originally just for football they run it on a number of events and sports including Rugby and American Football. So if you place a lot of first goalscorer bets, you should definitely be taking a look at Betfred.
- Innovative Bookies – Once of the things that has impressed us about Betfred is their innovation, specifically when it comes to new markets. Though their goals galore coupon they introduced us to the world of both teams to score which is now one of the most popular bets for accumulators. The company are always trialing new bets and types of offer meaning you’ll find things here that you won’t find anywhere else!
6. Ladbrokes – £50 Matched Bet – Regular Odds Enhancements
The last of the high street bookies to make it into our top 10 are Ladbrokes who have been offering a solid online product for well over a decade. They were one of the first to offer banking via their shops and regularly offer enhanced odds and boosted bet bundles to their customers. All in all they offer a very solid product that’s good at pretty much everything.
- £50 Matched Bet – Enter promo code F50 when you sign up for a straight forward £50 matched bet for which the minimum odds are lower than average at just 1/5.
- Daily Bet Bundles – Ladbrokes certainly like their odds enhancements and regularly offer short-term price boosts on popular markets. They also offer enhanced accumulators via their ‘Daily Bet Bundles’ page which boost the odds of selected multiples, sometimes by quite a significant amount. Definitely one for the crazy acca fans!
- Betting Exchange – Ladbrokes recently acquired the second largest betting exchange, Betdaq, and have integrated it into the Ladbrokes site. For Betdaq users this means an increase in liquidity for the chance at toppling Betfair for the crown of biggest exchange, and for Ladbrokes users it means they have access to a betting exchange from within their Laddies account.
7. ComeOn – £25 Bonus + Free Spins – £1,000 Weekly Free Bets
ComeOn are a relatively new betting site with offices in both Malta and the UK (and they are, of course, licensed and regulated in the United Kingdom). They offer a user friendly and easy to navigate betting platform complete with live betting and mobile betting. The real selling point of ComeOn at the moment is their masive loyalty program which offers customers up to £1,000 in free bets every week. Definitely one to have on your books.
- Deposit Bonus + Free Spins – The welcome bonus at ComeOn is for a £25 deposit bonus that you’ll receive after depositing £25. The bonus is also unusual in that it can be used in both the sportsbook and their NetEnt casino, or a combination of both. As an added extra you will also receive 10 free spins in the casino completely free after registering, with no deposit required.
- £1,000 Weekly Free Bets – As mentioned above ComeOn offer a stand out loyalty program that’s bigger than anything we’ve seen to date. Simply place your bets as normal and at the end of the week you’ll receive a loyalty free bet based on the amount you’ve wagered (based on turnover so it doesn’t matter if the bet wins or loses). The minimum you’ll get is £5 which is awarded for betting £100, and the maximum is £1,000 which you get for betting £100k. Please note: you need to opt in to this promotion to start receiving the free bets.
- Footcast – ComeOn also run a free to enter football prediction competition which offers cash prizes of at least £5k every week. Simply pick the match odds result (win-draw-win) of 10 football games and you could be in the running to share the prize money – you even get three double chance selections to give you a better chance of getting it right. Plus if you get the jackpot question correct as well as all 10 you’ll share in another £25k. In order to be eligible for the cash prizes you need to have placed a real money bet in the previous week.
8. Vernons – £25 Risk Free Bet – The Original Football Pools
If the name Vernons rings a bell, that’s probably because they’re the people behind the football pools that your grandad (or dad/great-grandad depending on how old you are) used to play on a Saturday morning. With a long history and a trusted name, Vernons knew they had to pull out all the stops when making an online sports betting site. Whilst they’re a relatively new site they offer a good range of markets, slightly above average odds and a fantastic set of offers.
- £25 Risk Free Bet – Vernons offer a risk free offer on your first bet. Place a bet of between £5 and £25 and if it loses, you’ll get your money back as a free bet to give you a second shot at a win.
- Regular Offers – Venons run promotions on a wide range of sports. In fact, they’re one of the only bookies we know of to run ongoing promotions for golf, tennis, rugby and snooker (as well as the more traditional football and horse racing). Most offers are money back specials but there are also a few free bets up for grabs as well.
9. 10Bet – £200 Deposit Bonus – Big Bonuses
10Bet are an international online bookie which serves over 90 countries world wide. Despite this global customer base, however, they focus heavily on local markets and serve the United Kingdom through their dedicated UK site, 10Bet.co.uk, which is regulated by the UK Gambling Commission. Of particular interest is their live betting tab which offers fantastic coverage of a seemingly endless array of markets and events, including both high profile matches and lesser known sports and leagues.
- Large Welcome Bonus – Next to Bet365, 10Bet are the only bookie listed on our site to offer a bonus of this kind of size. It’s a 50% match on your first deposit up to a maximum bonus of £200. The bonus must be turned over a few times before being withdrawn, but has a low odds requirement of 1/6 and should be easily achievable.
- Regular Reloads & Offers – As well as the welcome bonus they also have a number of other offers including a monthly reload bonus, acca insurance and a £10 risk free horse racing bet. They also run various specials around big games, usually involving free bets.
10. Betway – £50 Matched Bet – Stats At Your Fingertips
Betway are a relative newcomer to the online betting scene, but you may have heard the name if you’re big on football as they recently became the shirt sponsor of West Ham. They have millions invested in their product and it really shows – with a smooth and fast site with a pleasing design on both desktop and mobile. There’s a decent number of promotions up for grabs as well, starting with a £50 free bet when registering and followed by a slew of money back offers – including promos for American sports such as NFL and NBA (which are often neglected elsewhere). Betway clearly want to challenge the big bookies for supremacy and they have the resources to make it happen.
- £50 Matched Bet – There’s a nice free bet up for grabs when you sign up to Betway worth up to £50. The value of the bonus is based on the amount of your first deposit rather than your first bet so, unlike other matched bets, you don’t have to whack your money down all in one go to qualify – multiple smaller bets adding up to the value of your deposit will also trigger the offer.
- Stats At Your Fingertips – In Betway’s ‘Useful Stats’ section you can pull up head to head statistics for hundreds of teams and leagues, a feature that’s particularly useful when betting on in ‘both teams to score’ type coupons. It’s not just football either, the stats coverage is impressively wide and even includes things like handball and curling.
Online Betting Site or High Street Bookmaker?
Bookies have been around way longer than the internet, so it stands to reason that the oldest and most established betting brands on the internet are the high street bookmakers. Anybody who lives in the UK should already be familiar with the biggest names in the business – including Ladbrokes, Coral and Betfred – and many punters still choose to make the traditional saturday morning trip to the bookies to place their football bets for the weekend.
What the high street doesn’t offer, however, is the convenience that online betting sites can provide and people are increasingly turning to the bookies websites to place bets and check results rather than visit in person. Pretty much any bookie worth their salt will also have a mobile betting site or app, meaning you can manage your account and your bets from almost anywhere. Many will also let you depsoit and withdraw from your online account through their high street shops – meaning you can place a bet online from the pub, and pick up your winnings in cash on your way home.
Recently there has also been a wave of new betting sites which don’t follow the traditional bookmaker model and more and more online-only gambling sites have started to appear. And whilst some look like they’re being run from their parents garage, there are some real contenders setting up shop in the UK – backed by hedge funds and venture capital firms who have the financial gusto to make a real go of it. And because they don’t have the brand recognition that the brick and mortar bookies do, they have to work a little harder to get your business – often resulting in bigger bonuses and offers.